Infant Baptism at Saint Thomas
"Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." --Matthew 28:19
Congratulations on the birth of your child! You give your children many things - food, shelter, clothing, education, a loving home, and a caring family. But it all begins with the gift of faith. Through baptism, your child will belong to Christ forever.
To begin the process of having your child Baptized at Saint Thomas we ask that you attend a special class to prepare for this great moment in your child’s life. Classes are held the 3rd Wednesday of the month from 6:30-8:30pm and are taught by our Deacons. You can register for a class online.
To aid in planning for your child’s baptism we have included the Diocese of Phoenix requirements for Infant Baptism and a brief overview of the Saint Thomas process below. We look forward to celebrating this first sacrament with your family!
Scheduling the Baptism
- If the parents are registered Saint Thomas parishioners, please register for a Baptism Class.
- If the parents are not registered members of Saint Thomas we invite you to join our community and register online.
- In both cases, the parents must be registered parishioners for at least 3 months before the Sacrament of Baptism can be requests.
- Attend the Baptism Preparation Class lead by our Deacons where you will learn the theology of infant baptism, fellowship with other parents, and ensure the Baptisms documentation is completed.
- Parents must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate.
Godparents are chosen for their faithful commitment and for their ability to assist the Godchild and parents on their faith journey. Only one Godparent is required for baptism, either male or female; if two Godparents are selected, then one must be male and the other female. Each proposed Godparent needs to be certified by their own parish as meeting the requirements for Godparents.
Each Godparent must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- May not be the natural or adoptive parent of the child being baptized.
- Must be fully initiated Roman Catholic (Baptism, Confirmation, and First Communion).
- Must be an active, practicing Catholic in full communion with the Catholic Church and striving to live a life in harmony with its teachings.
- If married, the marriage must be valid according to Church teaching.
A proposed Godparent who is a parishioner of Saint Thomas the Apostle is required to be registered for 3 months and attend the Baptism Preparation Class.
Day of Baptism
Baptisms are celebrated one Saturday per month immediately following morning Mass. Parents, family, and friends are invited and encouraged to attend Mass at 8:30 am to prepare for the Rite of Baptism, which begins promptly at 9:15 am.