It is always a joyous occasion when a new Catholic comes into the Church. Below are the requirements for Infant Baptism and a brief overview of the process. To begin the baptismal process, please contact me by phone or email to schedule your interview with a baptismal team member.
Baptism Policy for Baptism of children at St. Thomas the Apostle
- If the parents live inside the parish boundaries, they should register and become active to begin the process.
- If the parents live outside the parish boundaries, they must be registered and active for at least 3 months before beginning the process.
- If the parents are registered in another parish and the grandparents of the infant to be baptized are registered parishioners of St. Thomas the Apostle, the parents must request and receive permission both from their parish and from the pastor of St. Thomas the Apostle.
- Parents are REQUIRED to interview with a member of the baptismal team.
- Parents must provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate before the baptism take place.
Godparents are chosen for their faithful commitment and ability to assist the godchild and parents on their faith journey. It is customary to have two Godparents, however only one is required for baptism.
A Godparent may be either male or female. If two are chosen then one must be male and the other female.
A Godparent who is a parishioner of St. Thomas the Apostle is required to interview with a member of the baptismal team.
A Godparent who is a parishioner of St. Thomas the Apostle may be required to attend one formal baptismal class.
Godparents must be certified by their parish with a letter that bears the parish seal and the signature of the Pastor or his delegate.
Each Godparent must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be at least16 years of age.
- May not be the natural or adoptive parent of the child being baptized.
- Must be fully initiated Roman Catholic (Baptism, Confirmation and First Communion)
- Must be an active, practicing Catholic in full communion with the Catholic Church and striving to live a life in harmony with its teachings.
- If married, the marriage must be valid according to Church teaching.
Day of Baptism
Baptisms are celebrated one Saturday per month immediately following daily mass. Parents, friends and family are invited and encouraged to attend mass at 8:30am to prepare for the Rite of Baptism, which begins promptly at 9:15am.
All requirements and paperwork must complete at least two weeks before the baptismal date.